She asked if we could make something with clay - so our first project was to make some air-drying clay egg cups.
- Air-drying clay - any amount, depends on how big you want your egg cup.
- Acrylic paints - any colour you want
I bought our air-drying clay and acrylic paints on-line from Eckersleys and it was delivered in two days (shopping on-line is easier at the moment with a 5 week old).
- Cut about a quarter of the clay off and put it to one side. You will use this later to make the feet/shoes.
- Roll the remaining clay into a ball and use your thumbs to work it into a bowl shape. Check the bowl with an egg, working on the shape until the egg sits snugly.
- Divide the remaining clay (the quarter that you put aside in the beginning) into two equal pieces.
- Make a foot/shoe shape out of each piece.
- Turn the bowl piece upside down and score with a knife where you want to place the feet/shoes. Wet each foot/shoe piece to help them stick, then attach them to the base of the egg cup piece.
- Turn the egg cup the right way up and adjust the feet/shoes until the cup stands on a surface without wobbling.
- Leave to dry overnight (it might actually take longer than overnight).
- When fully dry, paint the egg cup and feet/shoes any colour you like.